Tuesday, December 18, 2007

STUPID DRIVERS RANT!!!

It takes quite a bit to get me charged up to the point of using expletives. While a passionate, competitive person, I like to think I have a fairly level head when it comes to most things. There is, however, one thing in particular that pushes past the point of complacency, and that is idiot drivers putting my, or anyone else's, life in danger.

My boyfriend and I attended a Christmas banquet for my company last night. It was a wonderful evening with great entertainment and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was, however, a bit of a drive outside the city, and the roads were a bit slippery from the melted, and thus re-frozen, roads. Since I drive a mini-van, which isn't known for it's incredible traction, I was driving a touch below the speed limit.

As we were merging off the highway onto the freeway, I noticed that it was very bright behind me. A white car had pulled up right to my bumper and had his brights turned on, trying to 'force' me to drive faster through the off ramp. This annoyed me slightly, but I simply took my foot off the gas and tapped my break lights a couple times to politely ask him to back off my rear-end. When he didn't get the hint, I slowed down a bit, trying to be cautious since the ramp was very slippery and I was nervous about how close he was.

As soon as this driver got the opportunity to pass us, he whipped out from behind and moved in front of us. As I began to speed up so I could merge onto the freeway, he slammed on his breaks, forcing us onto the icy shoulder of the road. Luckily, my old van held up under the pressure, and we were able to keep our traction for the most part.

With every muscle tense in my body, my heart pounding, and my blood racing... my mouth released the only words that could come to mind. I won't repeat them here.

How DARE that ignorant young fool put my life, and the life of MY MAN in danger. Do people really have such a low view of human life that they think slamming on their breaks on an icy freeway is an okay way of expressing frustration? I am SO SORRY that I was taking the time to keep myself and the most important person in the world to me safe, but TAKE A PILL and SLOW DOWN!!! The 30 seconds you would have saved by running me down are not something worth risking lives for!

This is a perfect example of the reckless and selfish society that we find ourselves in. People truly believe that if someone gets in their way, or slows down their progress, they have the right to do whatever the heck they want. Well, I'm sorry. No, you don't. This world is not here solely for your exploitation. There are other people on this planet, and their lives and wellbeing are just as important as your own! Treat them with the respect they deserve.

Please, for the sake of all things that truly matter, slow down! Relax. Enjoy the drive.

Respectfully submitted,

Sarah

No comments: